Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pre-St. Patrick's Day Solo Dress Renovation

St. Patrick's Day is almost upon us, which means a flurry of Irish dancing performances is almost upon me.  I've got one on Friday, as a matter of fact.  I'm taking this week to make some modifications to my solo dress- updating it to the latest trends, and fixing some problems I wasn't aware of when I made it.

A few "before" pictures before I get out my seam ripper:





The waist is quite a bit higher than most solo dresses, and the bodice is a bit plainer than I would prefer (besides that white tree that took me three days to embroider)



I'm suprisingly happy with the cape, considering how little I knew about draping a year ago.  There is a lot more fabric there than you would think.



The sleeves are too long, and they could really use some interfacing.  I might try to add some structure to the sleeve cap, too, so that it doesn't just hang from my shoulder like a very sparkly dead fish:



The glitterball fabric I used for the sleeves and skirt still baffles me- it stretches and puckers in the strangest ways and I don't know how to make it behave:





What on earth-?



Crazy glitterball. I've also got a hundred Swarovski crystals and 400 cheap acrylic rhinestones that might find their way onto the dress eventually.